WASHINGTON – Today, U.S. Representative Bob Good (VA-05) introduced the Empowering Local Curriculum Act. This legislation would clarify that the Biden Administration cannot leverage existing federal funds to mandate that schools teach Critical Race Theory (CRT). Local school boards will be accountable to the parents, not the Administration or federal bureaucrats.
“Divisive curriculum like Critical Race Theory, or any other woke political agenda, has no place in the classroom,” said U.S Congressman Bob Good. “My bill would hold the Biden Administration accountable and give back the ultimate authority to parents when it comes to their children’s education.”
“From the Tulsa Race Massacre to Jim Crow and Juneteenth, young Americans deserve to learn about all significant events in our country's history. Critical Race Theory, however, teaches students that America is irredeemably racist and intrinsic characteristics like race, color, and national origin define you. I'm proud to support this legislation to discourage discriminatory practices and divisive worldviews,” said Ranking Member on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education Subcommittee, Burgess Owens.
“Local leaders should not be forced to bend to Washington’s political whims in order to properly educate their children. Critical Race Theory may be the left’s preferred ideology right now, but our students deserve an accurate education that empowers all of them to pursue their dreams. Taxpayer dollars are not a piggybank for Democrats’ anti-American agenda.” – Republican Leader of the Education and Labor Committee Virginia Foxx (R-NC)
Full bill text HERE
The Empowering Local Curriculum Act is cosponsored by: Virginia Foxx (R-NC), Burgess Owens (R-UT), Mary Miller (R-IL), Diana Harshbarger (R-TN), Scott Perry (R-PA), Jeff Duncan (R-SC), and Rick Allen (R-GA), Madison Cawthorn (R-NC).
- The Biden Administration is actively leveraging federal funding to push divisive, anti-American Critical Race Theory on our students, through Department of Education regulation.
- As a result, states and localities across the country are vigorously debating adopting CRT curriculums in their schools.
- 8 states have already banned the harmful curriculum.
- Concerned parents and teachers are rising up out of concern for the future of our country.
- Families should be the ultimate authority entrusted with the instruction of their children.
- When Washington is wrong, parents need to stand in the gap and re-assert their right to oversee their children’s education.